from the editor
Welcome to the Summer Newsletter
By Viviane G. Nasr, MD
Boston Children’s Hospital
It is that time of the year when we are ready for the Summer, the end of the school year, and the beginning of a new academic year. This year is different! We are also looking forward to getting back to our “new normal”. I hope you and your families are staying safe and well.
I would like to recognize Dr. Stephanie Grant (Associate Editor) and the question writers Drs. Rania Abbasi, Laura Diaz-Berenstain, Andrew Matisoff, and Pablo Motta for their continuous dedication despite the turmoil. I would also like to recognize the multiple volunteers who have contributed to this newsletter.
I am proud to present the upcoming newsletter:
- Topic Review: A great review on the HeartMate 3 by Dr. Pablo Motta. The plan is to write a review focusing on different mechanical devices in future newsletters.
- Updates from our Research and Database Committees, and Hemostasis Interest Group: Dr. David Faraoni introduces the mission of the Research Committee and its members. Dr. David Vener calls for proposals using the STS database; and Dr. Kelly Machovec presents the most updated work of the Hemostasis Interest Group.
- Story of our past CCAS presidents: Following the format of our past newsletter, Dr. Lisa Wise-Faberowski has written a piece titled “Family, Friends, Fortitude and Fate” about Dr. Chandra Ramamoorthy.
- Tribute to Dr. Maria Irwin by Dr. Lesley Silver: We would also like to share our sorrow of the passing of a dear friend and colleague. This is a poem written by Dr. Lesley Silver in memory of Dr Maria Irwin, a pediatric cardiac anesthesiologist from University of Florida who will be missed.
- Review of the CCAS Annual Meeting: Many of us had the opportunity to attend the 2020 CCAS Annual Meeting in the Bahamas and witnessed the fantastic program by the Program Chair Dr. James Spaeth and Co-Chairs Drs. Susan Nicholson and Greg Latham. For those who were unable to attend, an extensive review of the meeting has been written by members of the Communication Committee.
- Partnership with CHiP Network: Three highlighted articles summarized by Drs. Destiny Chau, Lori Riegger, Richard Hubbard and Nischal Gautam. The topics focus on pain control for congenital cardiac surgery and sedation techniques for transthoracic echocardiography. If you wish to contribute to the next series of articles in the Winter newsletter, please contact Dr. Rania Abbasi.
Enjoy the newsletter and do not hesitate to contact any member of the Communication Committee with new ideas for our newsletter or website.
I wish everyone a happy and safe Summer!